Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1lb Chicken breast, trimmed
- 15oz can sweet whole corn kernels, drained
- 15oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup onion, chopped
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper, divided
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Seasoned tortilla strips
- Add chicken breasts, corn, tomatoes, chicken broth, onion, bell peppers, garlic, and chili powder. Also add 1 teaspoon salt, and ¾ teaspoon ground pepper. Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours.
- Prior to serving, remove chicken breasts. Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for easy shredding. If you don't have a stand mixer with a paddle attachment you can shred the chicken by hand.
- Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper. Return shredded seasoned chicken to slow cooker bowl. Stir gently.
- If serving immediately, divide among bowls. Top with a generous helping of shredded cheese and seasoned tortilla strips.
- Soup may be stored in the fridge for up to several days. If freezing, label containers well with soup name, and date.